We are proud of the hotel's history and heritage and we carry on the tradition of friendly local community service. Founded in 1899 the Commercial Hotel, Boolaroo was re-bult in the early 1920's. To this day the hotel maintains many of its 1920's charm from the design by Wallace L. Porter, emitting an old world charm with modern facilities. The heritage building displays character of days gone by and is enhanced by a lovely sail covered beer garden as shown on the home page. Historic links to famous breweries of Marshall's Ales and Tooths Breweries is a proud part of the history of the hotel. Current licensees Joe and Dalila are proud to carry on a tradition forged by previous licensees including: James Jones - (1899-1902) Joseph Garret (1902-1906) Ernest Garret (1906-1912) William Ackroyd 1912-1913) Henry Arthur Burton became licensee in 1913, and was one of the hotel's longest serving licensees. On his death in 1948, his wife Mrs M.A. Burton became licensee in her own right. (Source: Ed Tonks (2016) Smelter's Haven to Artists Rest - The Hotels of Lake Macquarie. Published by Newey Printing Company and Ed Tonks - ISBN 978-0-646-95500-1) Go to www.edtonks.com.au
The Commercial Hotel, Boolaroo in the 1950's
Circa early 1900's. Note the Marshall's Ales sign on the side of the hotel.